Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Develop written and oral proficiency in the target language consistent with the American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL) proficiency rating for a given level.
- Communicate effectively orally in the target language to be easily understood by natives of the target language not accustomed to communicating with language learners and on a variety of (un)familiar topics.
- Write in the target language in formal expository prose without grammatical errors that impede communication.
Goal #2 Understand the history and cultures of French- and Spanish-speaking countries and peoples in a global context.
- Use the four communicative skills (speaking, listening, reading, writing) and cultural awareness to interact and study in a target country.
- Understand in an informed manner the societies and cultures of the target language.
- Identify, describe, and compare cultural and/or historical differences by developing relevant examples and articulating their significance.
Goal #3 Demonstrate the ability to think critically through thesis-driven analyses and interpretation of a variety of cultural texts including literature, film, plastic arts, and music.
- Interpret and analyze a variety of primary cultural texts in the target language in their historical and cultural contexts.
- Research, interpret, and successfully defend a thesis-driven analysis of a variety of primary cultural texts in the target language in their historical and cultural contexts using critical resources.
- Demonstrates an understanding of key literary movements of the target language.