Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Understand the interdisciplinary approaches to the study of American culture.
- Explain the methodologies of specific examples of American studies scholarship
- Compare multiple approaches to the study of American culture.
Goal #2 Develop the ability to conduct research in areas in the general scope of American studies and communicate the results of such research.
- Identify research topics in the scope of American studies and formulate appropriate research questions for the topic.
- Locate appropriate primary and secondary source materials to answer the research questions
- Produce a formal research paper that answers their research question
Goal #3 Be qualified and prepared for advanced study in American studies and related fields, as well as careers in professions such as education, law, public administration and business.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills through the articulation and analysis of multiple perspectives on questions relevant to the field of study.
- Demonstrate proficiency in presenting the results of their research through oral reports
- Demonstrate proficiency in presenting the results of their research through formal research papers