Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Students will engage in historical inquiry, research, and analysis.
- Identify existing and compelling questions
- Find appropriate sources online, in the library, or throughout the community
- Distinguish between primary and secondary sources, and know when to use them
Goal #2 Students will have the skills and knowledge to craft historical narrative and argument.
- Generate a historical argument that is reasoned and based on selected historical evidence
- Write an effective narrative
- Defend a position
Goal #3 Students will be well-practiced in historical thinking.
- Evaluate a variety of historical sources for their credibility, position, and perspective
- Develop a methodological practice of gathering, shifting, analyzing, ordering, synthesizing, and interpreting evidence