Academic Appeals, Complaints, and Concerns
Students wishing to make appeals or to bring forward complaints or concerns about instructional matters including final grades should first discuss the issue with the faculty member. If the issue is not satisfactorily resolved at that point, the student should then meet with the department chair. If further discussions are necessary, students should contact the appropriate school dean.
To ensure a fair and systematic review, students must follow the steps outlined below.
Process to Reconcile Academic Decisions
If a student wishes to appeal an academic decision of an instructor, he or she must follow the process described below.
- The student is to initiate a discussion with the instructor responsible for the initial decision in question.
- The instructor is responsible for documenting the outcome of the discussion with the student. Copies of that document are to be provided to the student and to the department chair.
- If the student is not satisfied with the outcome and wishes to further pursue the matter, the student is responsible for notifying the instructor and the department chair within five business days of receipt of the instructor’s communication.
- When the student meets with the department chair, the role of the chair is to ascertain to the extent possible the facts surrounding the matter and to clarify applicable academic policies. The department chair has the option of scheduling a subsequent meeting to include the instructor. The department chair is responsible for documenting the discussion outcome(s). Copies of that document are to be provided to the student, the instructor, and the school dean.
- If the student is not satisfied with the outcome and wishes to further pursue the matter, the student is responsible for notifying the instructor, the department chair, and the school dean of his or her desire within five business days of receipt of the department chair’s communication.
- The school dean will forward all relevant information to the school’s Grade Appeal Committee or other comparable committee within the school. This committee will review all pertinent facts and make a recommendation to the school dean for final review. The school dean shall notify the student, the instructor, and the department chair in writing of the decision to maintain or modify the original academic decision. The school dean’s decision is final.
Process to Reconcile Policy and/or Grade Issues Related to Academic Deadlines
Appeals relating to academic policy, withdrawal and incomplete grade deadlines, or to a student’s academic status are considered by the Committee on Academic Standing, a standing committee of the Faculty Assembly. This committee meets monthly and considers written appeals from students only, with submission of further documentation, if necessary. For information, the student should contact the Center for Academic Advising and Support Services or the Registrar’s Office.
Note: Appeals related to a final grade must be made within one year from the end of the term in which the grade was received.