Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Students will have the skills and knowledge to code in a variety of languages related to interactive media development.
- Students will learn the syntax and techniques of coding, including an understanding of logic statements, functions, and objects.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively debug code.
Goal #2 Students will learn techniques for designing web and mobile sites and/or video games for a variety of commercial, journalistic, and artistic purposes.
- Students will become familiar with graphic design and be able to apply design theory to real-world projects.
- Students will develop an understanding of information design and usability as it applies to interactive media projects.
Goal #3 Students will demonstrate skills in statistical, quantitative, and computing methods to solve research problems
- Students will utilize coding and software tools to analyze and present date in a professional manner that could be translated to web-based or app-based media.
Goal #4 Students will be able to write about issues related to digital cultures and digital technologies.
- Students will apply the methodologies of critical analysis, content analysis, or ethnography to write an academic analysis of an issue related to digital cultures..
- Students will write at a level suitable for a public audience in an area related to interactive media (e.g., technical writing, game writing, writing for social media, presentation of C.V.).
- Students will analyze the cultural significance of media texts as they relate to issues of race, class, global cultures, and/or gender.
Goal #5 Students will apply innovative thinking and creativity to new inventions and art.
- Students will create a unique example of interaction art or a computational object that demonstrates creativity and technical understanding.
- Students will write about digital invention/digital art from a historical/theoretical viewpoint.
Goal #6 Students will develop their networking skills and build professional portfolios.
- Students will develop networking skills to pursue internship and campus experiential activities.
- Students will build a professional portfolio.