B.S. in Management
All business core, globalization, and elective courses are included in the determination of the grade point average in the major. Although majors need to achieve a 2.00 grade point average in these courses, it is not necessary to earn a grade of “C” or above in every course.
Business School Core - 27 credits
- ACCT 101 - Principles of Accounting I (3)
- ACCT 102 - Principles of Accounting II (3)
- FINA 315 - Introduction to Corporate Finance (3)
- MGMT 203 - The Legal Environment of Business (3)
- MGMT 211 - Managing Team and Organizational Behavior (3)
- MGMT 357 - Information Technology Management (3)
- MGMT 409 - Operations Management (3)*
- MGMT 432 - Strategic Management (3)*
- MKTG 221 - Marketing Principles (3)
Globalization Course - 3 credits
Choose ONE course from the following group.
- ECON 340C - International Economic Policy (3)
- FINA 413 - International Banking and Finance (3)
- MGMT 312 - International Business Management (3)
Required Management Courses - 4 credits
- HRMG 275 - Human Resource Management (3)
- MGMT 310 - Career Seminar (1)
Electives - 18 credits
Six additional business electives are required. These electives are designed to provide management students with the option to craft a program of study to meet their career goals in ways not provided for by any of the other School of Business majors. Students should consult with their academic advisors prior to finalizing their major electives to make sure that they have suitable objectives and to ensure that the sets of courses included in their plans of study are academically sound. The typical portfolio of courses in the management major has six electives which carry the FINA, HRMG, MGMT, or MKTG prefix. The selection of electives may include courses from MGMT but must also include courses from at least two of the three functional business areas of finance, human resources, and marketing. An internship in Management is strongly encouraged. A student may earn credit for two distinct internship experiences, but may only apply one Internship course to the elective requirements.
Liberal Arts and Sciences Courses - 60 credits
Some of the following courses may be used to fulfill College Core requirements.
- COMM 253 - Business Communication (3)
- CSCI 150 - P4 Life in a Digital World (3)
- ECON 105C - P3 Principles of Microeconomics (3)
- ECON 106C - P3 Principles of Macroeconomics (3)
- ECON 221 - SQ Statistics I (3)
- MATH 130C - SQ Mathematical Modeling and Quantitative Analysis (3)**
- REST 386D - Morality in Business (3)***
- Additional liberal arts and sciences courses to total 60 credits
Total: 112 credits
*These courses must be taken at St. John Fisher College.
**MATH 112C (P4) or 120C (P4) may be substituted for MATH 130C (SQ) – please note however, that these courses carry different Core attributes and so apply to the College Core in different areas.
***PHIL 273C may be substituted for REST 386D.
Notes on Management Requirements
- At least half of the business courses required for the management major—including the business school core, globalization course, human resources course, and the elective courses—must be taken at the College.
- Students should keep in mind that courses must be taken in a timely manner (e.g., the 100-level courses should optimally be taken during the student's freshman year at the College, the 200-level during the sophomore year, etc.). In addition, students must pay careful attention to course prerequisites; not doing so could delay progress through the program.
- Management majors may not declare minors in finance, marketing, or human resources management. If students wish to concentrate their electives in any of these areas, they should speak with advisors in the School of Business about majoring in those fields.
- Management majors may not declare a double major in any of the former concentration areas of business: finance, human resources management, and marketing.