The program is designed to be completed online in one calendar year. In addition to coursework, fieldwork, and practica as described below, candidates must take and pass the New York State Teacher Certification Examination in Library Media Specialist and meet any additional requirements at the time they apply for certification.
Each GLMS course entails one or more portfolio artifacts, and candidates are required to construct a professional portfolio with final reflection linking all the artifacts, as a graduation requirement.
Online M.S. in Library Media
The number of credits for each course is designated in parentheses after the course title.
- GLMS 600 - Introduction to School Librarianship (3)
- GLMS 602 - Children’s Literature, Media, and Literacy (3)
- GLMS 604 - Adolescent Literature, Media, and Literacy (3)
- GLMS 606 - Inquiry and the Library Media Program (3)
- GLMS 608 - Managing the Library Media Program (3)
- GLMS 610 - Curriculum, Collaboration, and Leadership for the Library Media Specialist (3)
- GLMS 611 - Organization of Information (3)
- GLMS 612 - Information Literacy, Media Literacy, and New Literacies (3)
- GLMS 614 - Practicum in the Library Media Center: Elementary (3)
- GLMS 616 - Practicum in the Library Media Center: Secondary (3)
Total: 30 credits
Note: Completion of the program requires 100 hours of supervised fieldwork and portfolio completion with final reflection linked to artifacts.